This is a continuation of my earlier post trying to get rtags to work over TRAMP.
tl;dr: rtags over tramp still fails
Failure to run rtags on remote files
One of the authors of remote rtags suggested that I ensure the
rc binary is
actually triggered from within Emacs. So I tried a few things.
Here are the steps:
- ssh to remote from a terminal outside Emacs, run rdm
- open remote file via tramp (cmake succeeds in this project, outside Emacs)
- MiniBuffer says cmake failed.
- Doesn’t respond to cmake-ide commands (which work fine when attempted on a local project file)
- M-x shell-command: rc –help shows help menu errors out with “rc not found”
- Interestingly, if I provide the full remote path to M-x shell-command for rc like /home/REMOTE/PATH/TO/rc -J . then I see the following error messages.
FileSystemWatcher::watch() '/tmp/cmakeMqZWRU/compile_commands.json' doesn't seem to be watchable
FileSystemWatcher::watch() '/tmp/cmakelkQV72/compile_commands.json' doesn't seem to be watchable
FileSystemWatcher::watch() '/tmp/cmakeBr0aly/compile_commands.json' doesn't seem to be watchable
The funny thing is
rtags works and works very well for local codebase so much so
that I am desperate to get it working on my remote code over TRAMP.
If you like topics such as this then please consider subscribing to my podcast. I talk to some of the stalwarts in tech and ask them what their favorite productivity hacks are:
Available on iTunes Podcast
Visit Void Star Podcast’s page on iTunes Podcast Portal. Please Click ‘Subscribe’, leave a comment.